Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"Y.A. Tuesday": Parallel (Travelers Series Book 1) by Claudia Lefeve

Genre: Y.A. SciFi, Fantasy, Paranormal, Time Travel. 262 pages
Price: $0 FREE (at time of post)
Publisher & Date: Sugar Skull Books [2nd Edition]. December 31, 2013
Book Link: Click Here
Listed Rating: ðŸ“”📔📔📔
Price I Paid: $0 (got it FREE on January 6, 2014)
My Rating: ðŸ“”📔📔

My Thoughts: People, Plains, and Paradoxes

     My Oh! Oh My! This book is an interesting read dealing with the physics of time travel and existence of more than one universe. The intended audience is meant to be a Y.A. Teen, but the science can definitely keep an adult easily entertained if not completely intrigued. Because really doesn't time travel intrigue everyone? Especially if it's to fix ones mistakes?
     The main character of the story is a  17 year old girl named Etta, whom readers are shown is an orphan just trying to survive in the foster care system. Sadly too many unexplained accidents have occurred around her that Etta is transferred to a girls housing facility. Things seem bleak till she is approached by Cooper, an attractive man, not much older than her, telling Etta she's not from this reality and he's there to take her home to her real reality. Etta is then thrown into her real reality and life gets strange from there on. It turns out she is special and is a linchpin for all the realities, but all Etta would like is to know her family and live her life and be normal for once.
     Overall I enjoyed the book but can't say I'll read the rest of series. It was okay just wasn't enough to grab me. Loved the concept and most of the writing. However the character dialogue and chemistry always seemed stunted and flat. I know it's a Y.A. book but those too can be written with a flow. Now there was some good banter here and there; but even the parts where the author is clearly trying to spice up Etta and Cooper chemistry, the scenes felt flat, forced and rather awkward. Plus I pretty much figured out some big twists by the middle of the book so that killed the story and series for me. Oh and I must give props to the author for keeping the science understandable, because the science involved concerning multiple universes is complicated and can be boring if explained improperly. So last words, as always you could get it, read it and maybe purchase the rest of the series, or do as I did and just go. . . Hey, It Was Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment